Thursday, February 7, 2008

What is man running after?

This is one of those other questions that props in my mind every now and then. What am I really after in life?

It all started when I was traveling alone from Vizag (home town) to Bangalore (then, place of work). I was gazing outside and I noticed two dogs playing happily in the mud. I was pretty sure the dogs were having loads of fun and enjoying life and are happy. Immediately, I ask myself, am I as happy as those dogs? I know I am happy (definitely compared to some people) but am I as happy as the dog?

I had no clue - we have no metrics to compare who is happier. I thought I can look at the worries that each of us has. What are my immediate worries? Would I reach Bangalore safely? What do I eat on the way? Can I get my work done by the time I meet my manager? Would my manager like my work? Would I get an admit at a decent grad school? More than worries, they are all uncertainties. What all does the dog worry about? Food - I was pretty sure, it would find some food somewhere - its own hunt, or some one would feed it (directly or indirectly). Shelter - I agree that is a problem.

So, what did man achieve as such with his so-called intelligence? One thing that he earned is all these uncertainties and tensions regarding what would happen later. It is true that we have made huge scientific and technological advances. But, everyone doesn't even have the cushion of three meals a day. Not even what the dog has. We have hatred, communal strife - which animals also might have. But, we go a step further and spend time on building nice weapons for use on others. There is this constant race for power. One thing that we have definitely achieved is inequality among men. Animals too would have inequality, main factor being physical ability/power. We are a few steps ahead on this front.

The other day I had this huge argument/discussion with my friend about colonization and how it has affected countries like India. Isn't it sad to see one group of people play with the basic needs of another group. Would any animal hurt another animal of the same species that badly?

It is true we made huge scientific advances. We can cure diseases. We build machines with/without AI and let them do the work for us. I am damn sure, this makes us happy. But, I just have this feeling that it would be nicer not to loose out on certain things - like strife and competition.

Can we actually achieve that? The answer seems to be no. But, if we nurture this feeling of the need to reduce such traits, we might end up being a lot happier than what we are now.

Let us try to be happier!

1 comment:

Vee said...

As Ralph Waldo Emerson said "The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization."

nice post! i am sure almost everyone will have similar thoughts.